The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT) or Ninja Turtles are a group of characters created by Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman in November 1983. The TMNT have a loose connection to the Usagi Yojimbo universe. They appeared as guest characters in the story "Shades of Green" (UY Vol. 8). In addition, Miyamoto Usagi and other characters from the Usagi Yojimbo universe have made guest appearances in TMNT animated shows.
TMNT Characters that have appeared in Usagi YojimboEdit
As there are many incarnations of the TMNT, it is important to note that the TMNT characters that appear in most Usagi Yojimbo comics are the versions from the Mirage Studios comics. (E.g., all of the Turtles wear red headbands.)
The turtle who acts as the leader. He carries two katana (swords).
Donatello is the "brains" of the group who's favorite weapon is a bō (staff).
Michelangelo is the laid back "Party Dude" of the TMNT. His weapons of choice are the Nunchaku
Raphael is quick tempered and hot-headed. His weapons are a pair of Sai.
Usagi in TMNT comicsEdit
This TMNT comic features a pinup by Stan Sakai depicting Usagi and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
This story features Leonardo falling into Usagi's world.
Another story featuring a meeting between Usagi and Leonardo.
This one-shot has Usagi team-up with the IDW versions of the Turtles (as opposed to the Mirage versions)
TMNT in Usagi Yojimbo comicsEdit
- The Crossing: In this story by Peter Laird tells some children about how he learned to not be so arrogant from an encounter with Leonardo.
- Shades of Green
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Usagi Yojimbo is a one shot written and illustrated by Stan Sakai and published by IDW in July 2017.
Usagi appearances on 1987 TMNT seriesEdit
Miyamoto Usagi (referred inaccurately in this series as "Usagi Yojimbo") appeared in the following episodes
- The second series of TMNT trading cards included cards based on episodes in which Usagi appeared.
- Animation cels from the TMNT series were sold in stores, including some from episodes featuring Usagi.
Usagi crossovers in 2003 TMNT seriesEdit
Usagi, Gen and several other Usagi Yojimbo characters have appeared in this series. In addition to their appearances in the series, Usagi and Gen briefly appear in the opening title sequence of the series in some seasons.
Season 2 (2003/2004)Edit
Season 3 (2004/2005)Edit
- "The Christmas Aliens"
- "The Real World Pt.1"
- "The Real World Pt.2"
Season 4 (2005/2006)Edit
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fast ForwardEdit
- A script for a two-part episode featuring Space Usagi was written, but the series was canceled before it could be produced. Peter Laird stated in his blog that "it might be possible to see it published in some interesting fashion... perhaps in an 'Unseen Tales of the TMNT' -type comic which could adapt stories which were written for the TV series but which for whatever reason never made it to air. Hmm... I wonder if Stan Sakai himself would be interested in drawing it?"
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Back to the SewerEdit
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Battle Nexus (PC, Xbox, Playstation 2, and Gamecube)
- Usagi appears as an opponent in this game.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: Mutant Nightmare (Xbox, Playstation 2, and Gamecube)
- Usagi appears in the "Battle Nexus" video clip in "Movie Viewer" mode.
- Although the "Nightmare" chapter of the game is based on the story arc in the third season where Ultimate Drako sends the Turtles to different dimensions, Leonardo is not sent to Usagi's world as he was in the TV series.
Usagi crossovers in 2012 TMNT seriesEdit
Usagi, Jei and several other UY characters appear in the following episodes:
- There was a banner with an image of Usagi on the set of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III.
- Designs and prototypes for Usagi and Gen figures
- Information about Konami's games based on the 2003 TMNT series.
- TMNTPedia entry for Miyamoto Usagi
Story Notes on 2003 TMNT series episodes featuring Usagi from Peter Laird's TMNT BlogEdit
- Blast from the Past #387: Mar. 23, 2004: Re: TMNT - 72 Outline AND Mar. 24, 2004: Re: TMNT - 74 and 75 Premises
- Blast from the Past #291: Apr. 2, 2004: comments on character designs for "Superturtles" episode and Apr. 2, 2004: notes on Ep. 74 outline
- Blast from the Past #294: Apr. 8, 2004: Re: Ep. 72 (Planet Racers) final draft, notes on Ep.76 outline, and TMNT - Show 74 1st draft